A patient-Centered Approach to Medicine – Functional Medicine Looks for the Root Cause of Imbalance
Functional medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease and loss of wellness, using a systems-oriented approach and engaging both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. Functional medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease.
Functional medicine is anchored by an examination of the core clinical imbalances that underlie various disease conditions. Those imbalances arise as environmental inputs such as diet; nutrients (including air and water), exercise, and trauma are processed by one’s body, mind, and spirit through a unique set of genetic predispositions, attitudes, and beliefs. The fundamental physiological processes include communication, both outside and inside the cell; bioenergetics, or the transformation of food into energy; replication, repair, and maintenance of structural integrity, from the cellular to the whole body level; elimination of waste; protection and defense; and transport and circulation. The core clinical imbalances that arise from malfunctions within this complex system include:
- Nutritional Imbalances
- Hormonal and neurotransmitter imbalances
- Oxidation-reduction imbalances and mitochondropathy
- Detoxification and biotransformational imbalances
- Immune imbalances
- Inflammatory imbalances
- Digestive, absorptive, and microbiological imbalances
- Structural imbalances from cellular membrane function to the musculoskeletal system
Functional medicine emphasizes a definable and teachable process of integrating multiple knowledge bases within a pragmatic intellectual matrix that focuses on functionality at many levels, rather than a single treatment for a single problem. Functional medicine uses the patient’s story as a key tool for integrating diagnosis, signs and symptoms, and evidence of clinical imbalances into a comprehensive approach to improve both the patient’s environmental inputs and his or her physiological function. It is a clinician’s discipline, and it directly addresses the need to transform the practice of primary care.
Ayama Yoga Healing Arts is proud to partner with Holistic Specialists to bring to our community the most advanced holistic integrative therapy. Combining cutting edge XXI century diagnostics with natural and organic healing therapy that considers always the patient’s individual needs, goals and risks, as main dynamic powers of any therapy.
Holistic Specialists are a team of highly experienced health care practitioners mastering natural healing therapies. Our holistic specialists include acupuncturists, herbalists, functional medicine practitioners, nutritionists, and health educators all working together in their own area of expertise to help their patients achieve optimal health.
Holistic Specialists Clinic director, Acupuncturist and Herbologist
Diego F. Rutenberg L. Ac, Dipl. O.M.D., FDM, RYT
Diego Rutenberg is a licensed acupuncturist in Florida and certified at the highest level by the NCCAOM. He also holds a bachelor’s degree in physical education from the National Institute of Physical Education in Buenos Aires. He has more than twenty years of experience as a health and wellness practitioner, yoga teacher and fitness consultant and trainer. His deep understanding of how the body functions give him a unique ability to recognize and treat all kinds of illnesses specializing in pain and sports therapy.
- Licensed Acupuncture Physician, Diplomat of Oriental Medicine
- Bachelors in Physical Education, Physical Education National Institute, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Certified Functional Medicine University practitioner.
- Registered certified yoga teacher
- Former Michael-Ann Russell Jewish Community Center Fitness Director. North Miami Beach, Florida 2005
- More than twenty years of experience as a health and wellness practitioner, yoga teacher and fitness consultant and trainer
- Dedicated to Complementary/Alternative Medicine and the Integrated Health Care Practitioners Model.
Holistic Specialists Director of Functional Medicine and Integrative Nutrition
Shantih Coro CMTA, FDM
Shantih Coro originally from Italy, went to University to study dietetics to pursuit a career in the sport and healthcare field. After graduation he spent one year in a farm to learn about agriculture, farming and food preparation. Shantih is an expert in digestive problems, wellness and sports performance enhancement and will work tirelessly to help his patients to achieve performance, optimal and balanced health. He educates his patients towards proper lifestyle changes, supplementation, exercise, stress reduction and nutrition. Shantih has over 15 years of experience working with patients for weight loss, digestive problems, medical conditions, amateur and professional athletes, fitness professionals and optimal wellness.
- Registered dietitian in Italy, he is working through transferring his credentials through Eastern Michigan University, which has one of the top dietetic programs in the USA
- Extensive training in functional medicine
- Certified in Sports Nutrition
- Professional mentorship in Clinical Nutrition with best seller author of “Digestive Wellness” Dr. Elizabeth Lipski, PhD, CCN
- Certified Personal Trainer and Strength and Conditioning Specialist
Holistic Specialists Associated Medical Practice – Urology Specialists
Dr. Edward Gheiler
Dr. Edward Gheiler founded Urology Specialists LLC. (2001 – Present).
Dr. Gheiler performs many types of procedures as a urological surgeon at Palmetto General Hospital and is involved in clinical research projects.
- Mount Sinai Medical Center oncology urologist, Miami Beach Florida.
- Chief of the urology service at Miami Veterans’ Administration Medical Center.
- University of Miami, Department of Urology, Assistant Professor.
- Wayne State Department of Urology, Assistant Professor.
- Completed his general surgery and urological surgery at Wayne State University of Detroit, Michigan.
- Dr. Edward Gheiler received his medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine NYC, NY.
Dr. Edward Gheiler’s Current and Past Hospital affiliations
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, Florida.
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida.
- Aventura Hospital and Medical Center, Aventura, Florida.
- Hialeah Hospital Hialeah, Florida.
- Cedars Medical Center, Miami, Florida.
- Palm Springs General Hospital, Hialeah, Florida.
- Larkin Community Hospital, Miami, Hospital
Dr. Fernando Bianco
- Director of the Prostate Program for the George Washington Cancer Institute (GWCI).
- Urology oncology fellow at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York.
- Dr. Bianco completed his residency at Wayne State University in Detroit.
- MD degree from the Universidad Central de Venezuela.
- BS degree from the Colegio Santiago de Leon in Caracas, Venezuela.
- Urology Specialists Robotic surgeon of the prostate, kidney and bladder and oncology urologist.
- Chief of Robotic Surgery, Columbia University
- Division of Urology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, Florida.
- Chief of Urology Oncology, George Washington University Hospital.
Dr. Fernando Bianco’s Current and Past Hospital affiliations
- Mount Sinai Medical Center.
- Palmetto General Hospital, Hialeah, Florida.
- Palm Springs General Hospital, Hialeah, Florida.
- George Washington University Hospital.
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
Holistic Specialists, the premiere natural medicine wellness center, is composed of the best holistic specialists from around the world.